27 July 2010

Azerbaijani Jews sing “Coco Jamboo.” (Video)

Despite its popularity in the 1990s, I may not have heard the original English version of the song “Coco Jamboo” until it was played at the East Elmhurst gay night club Scape while I was there for my friend Ernesto’s birthday party on the tenth.

Last summer, I had encountered a version of the song in Azerbaijani when doing some online research about my Mountain Jewish origins, and I actually assumed it was the original until I went to Scape. What is the title line of the English version (“Ya ya ya Coco Jamboo”) became in Azerbaijani “Ya ya ya Yəhudilər [Jews],” the singing of which I found completely irresistible when I finally heard the original.

• A version of this article is reproduced at webcitation.org/5rY6f4fk0.
• Additional comments on this article may be available on Google Buzz, FriendFeed, Facebook, and Jaiku (and FriendFeed and Google Buzz).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but all comments on all articles are moderated, so quarrelsome or irrelevant ones might not be published. (If you believe this to be censorship or squelching of free speech, please open a blog of your own with any of the many sites that offer free accounts, and comment to your heart’s content.)